Screen Printing Inks
Additives and Mediums
Where to Buy Materials:
- Cabrillo College Book Store (may not carry everything or prices might be higher)
- Lenz Arts in Santa Cruz: lenzarts.com, 142 River St., http://www.lenzarts.com
- Palace Art & Office Supply in Santa Cruz and Capitola, 41st Ave. & Downtown (Pacific Garden Mall): http://stores.gopalace.com/art-supplies/ AND http://stores.gopalace.com/
- S & G Hand Made Crafts in Aptos: (831) 722-8240 10
- Wild Rose, Watsonville: Crossroads Shopping Center
1929 Main St, Ste 1, Watsonville, CA 95076, (831) 722-4282 wildroseart.co
- Art Supplies, Ink in Aptos: 7960 Soquel Drive, Suite H1. Aptos, CA 95003, 831-708-2855, http://artsuppliesink.com/index.html
Online and other stores:
- University Art, San Jose: www.universityart.com
- Michael’s Art Supply (various locations)
- Daniel Smith Art Supplies: www.danielsmith.com
- Dick Blick Art Supplies: www.dickblick.com
- MisterArt: http://www.misterart.com/
- Pearl Art and Craft Supply: www.pearlpaint.com
- Screenprinting equipments and supplies: http://www.squeegeeville.bigcartel.com/category/screenprinting-equipment
- Screenprinting equipments and supplies: www.silkscreeningsupplies.com
Screen printing supplies, and online demos:
Silkscreeningsupplies.com mclogan.com dickblick.com nazdar.com
About Acrylic Paints:
- Preferably students shouldn’t buy other brands other than those mentioned here.
- Students may choose colors from any brand, as long as they are the same or mix brands.
- Students may NOT buy paints that have the word "*hue" after color’s name. Ex: Cadmium red hue. (See the end of materials list for explanation)
- Paints’ names are slightly different for each brand.
- DO NOT buy Daler Rowney brand.
Brands that you may purchase: Golden, Liquitex are good brands. Other acceptable brands: VanGogh/Amsterdam, Grumbacher, A>2 Chroma, Winsor & Newton
Students should buy 1 2oz (75 ml) tubes/jars of each below number color (total of 5 color tubes)+ black and white (bigger tube or two 2oz., and Gloden is strongly recommended):
1. Black: Mars black, or Carbon black or Ivory black
2. White: Titanium (4 or 5 oz. or 2 2oz. tubes)
- Any of these Yellow s or (students may buy one light, and one medium): Hansa yellow medium, yellow medium Azo, Cadmium yellow medium, Hansa yellow light, Cadmium yellow light
4. Magenta: Quinacridone Magenta
5. Any of the these Red: (Golden) Napthol Red Light, (Liquitex) Napthol Red Medium, (Grumbach) Cadmium Red
6. Blue: Pthalo blue (green shade but NOT red shade)
7. Blue: Ultramarine Blue (red shade NOT green shade)
We need both Blue (#6 & 7)
*When you see “hue” written on a paint tube (ex: Cadmium Red hue) it means imitation, not a pure pigment but a combination of cheaper available reds to make a color very close. So you can imagine it’s never going to have the color saturation that an artist grade paint will have.
Liquitex Soft Body Acrylics are naturally creamy and fluid. That makes them just right for tole and decorative arts, stenciling, murals, silk-screening, calligraphy, printmaking, graphic design, sculpture, photo retouching, hard edged painting, watercolor techniques, fabric painting without heat setting, airbrush
Liquitex Heavy Body Artist Acrylic Colors are professional-quality acrylics that have an exceptionally smooth, thick, buttery consistency, ideal for traditional art techniques that employ brushes and painting knives, as well as experimental, mixed-media, collage, and printmaking applications.
Links to Brushes: http://www.dickblick.com/products/royal-langnickel-majestic-brushes/
Link to Golden Acrylics: http://www.dickblick.com/products/golden-heavy-body-artist-acrylics/?clickTracking=true